Introduction: The goal of this how to is to show step by step instructions to setup a CentOS Server using Webmin. This demo setup is being performed on a Slicehost.com hosting account but should be straight forward to apply to any server install. Check out my review of Slicehost here.
At the end of this tutorial you will have a CentOS server which can host your website(s) and allow you to manage all aspects of hosting via Webmin web GUI interface (instead of something like CPanel or H-Sphere).
Using Webmin you can manage everything needed in a web server like Apache, dns-server, php 5, mysql database, email using Postfix Server, FTP server etc.
Webmin is Free alternative to cPanel.
All recent versions of Webmin are under a BSD-like license, meaning that it may be freely distributed and modified for commercial and non-commercial use.
Ok, to begin with the actual install of the CentOS 5.2 build, using Slicehost is literally a 3 click install.
Login to your Slicehost account
Select Your Slice Name that was assigned on registration
1) Click on REBUILD link
2) Select from a drop down list of Linux Flavors (CentOS 5.2, Debian, Ubuntu and Others)
3) Submit 'rebuild'
Wolla, in less then 5 min you will have the selected version installed and an email sent from Slicehost with login details for your brand you linux server install.
Alternately, you can download the iso version from here and install CentOS 5
- Dec 2012 - Install Virtualmin on Centos 5.8 with PHP 5.3
- Feb 2010 - 3 Step Sever Install
- Misc Linux Commands
- Chapter 1: CentOS Server Install - Some prep work
- Chapter 2: Install Webmin
- Chapter 3: Webmin Login
- Chapter 4: BIND DNS Server Installation and Initial Configuration
- Chapter 5: Install MySQL 5.0 Database via Webmin
- Chapter 6: Install PHP 5
- Chapter 7: Webmin SSL Setup
- Chapter 8: Install Cyrus-sasl and OpenSSL
- Chapter 9: Install and Configure Postfix Mail Server
- Chapter 10: Install Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server
- Chapter 11: Testing Your Postfix/Dovecot Mail Server
- Chapter 12: Install Virtualmin