This simple three minute video demonstrates how a movement starts.
A must see for all entrepreneurs!
Derek Sivers - on "How to start a movement"
- A Leader needs the guts to stand out and be ridiculed
- What he is doing should be easy to follow
- First Follower - going to show everyone how to follow
- Leader embraces his First Follower as an equal - it's about THEM
- First Follower - calls out to his friends
- First Follower - is a form of leadership in itself
- First Follower - transforms a 'lone nut' into a leader
- A movement must be public - new followers emulate the followers, not the leader.
- As more people join in, it's a movement
- Eventually, those not joining in will be ridiculed
Lessons to be learned
- Important to nurture the first few followers as equals
- Leadership is over glorified - it was really the First Follower to transform the lone nut into a leader
If you really care about starting a movement...
Have the courage to follow and show others how to follow.